Taiwan Tales

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Halloween


To celebrate all things hallowed, the school was decorated with bats, pumpkins and a huge vampire across the window. In the weeks leading up to Halloween, all of the students were taught the catchy phrase "Trick or treat, I'm so sweat. Give me something good to eat!"

On the the 3 days before Halloween, if they could say this twice to a teacher, they would get a sweet. For the intensive classes, on Friday afternoon, they all came in fancy dress to go trick or treating around the neighbourhood. I was encouraged to wear something scary... so I went for my play-it-safe vampire costume, but when I got to work, all the TA must have spent hours on their make-up... they were terrifying. I put my false teeth in for good measure.

The week before, they had all made scary masks in class but these were nothing compared to the costumes the kids came in. Cowgirls, fairies, witches, werewolves... they were all there!

and then Oscar (cei01 student) comes in wearing exactly the same costume as me, with false teeth as well. Now, I've always thought Oscar has a great sense of humour... but when he started his evil laugh.. I thought, this kid is a legend!
Once everyone was assembled we headed out down the street, our capes blowing fiercely in the wind. Rita (manager) said that morning 'just try and have fun with them.'

I'm dressed up, we're collecting sweeties, I don't need telling twice. When we reached each store the kids all chanted the rhyme and sweets magically appeared. When we got back to the school we made a pumkin box to keep the sweets in... very cute... and then I was asked to judge whose costume was the best. I gave it to Lili, a witch. Her costume was great and I figured she'd turn me into something horrible if I didnt choose her.

The rest of the day we taught in our costumes. Sam came as a nun, Paul a pirate. I had a speaking test last lesson, I was tempted to keep the false teeth in for a laugh... but my mooth was starting to get sore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home