Taiwan Tales

Monday, October 18, 2010

Sun Moon Lake: temple quest

Saturday 16th

I was invited two weeks ago to go to a theme park or waterworld sometime today... However, the girls organising it decided that it would be better to go to Sun Moon Lake instead.

I was told to be at the train station at 1pm. This gave me time to go for a quick cycle before hand... I got half way up the mountain, and I thought: I'm not gonna make it to the top!', so headed back down.
As I was scootering into town, I realised I hadn't taken any money from the wad of cash on my desk. I pulled into 7/11 quickly got some out from my UK account.... I really should check how much is left in there! ... and jumped back into the scooter and zoomed to the station... I say zoomed: traffic lights are red from between 50 and 100 seconds in Yuanlin, so walking through town is quicker than 4 red lights.

I got there at 1:10. The other TAs were already there waiting. No David though. 'Oh, he's sick' I was told later. So just me and 7 girls... I'm sure I'll cope.
The journey involved catching a train from Yuanlin to a High Speed Rail outside Taichung... and then getting a shuttle bus from there to the lake.
On the way I talked with Cathy and Michelle about the difference between England and Taiwan in terms of transport, food, schools, pretty much anything that came to mind.
It was a 2 hour journey.
The High Speed rail terminal was like an airport... posh coffee bars and cafes and of course; MacDonalds. We grabbed some lunch there, the girls MacD's I got a riceseaweep wrap from 7/11.
Culture exchange going on there!

The bus arrived and we headed out towards the hills around Sun Moon Lake. We arrived just before pm. It was still a glorious day. Michelle went into the visitor centre and came out with some blue info booklets about the area. On the back page was a section with six spaces. A space for a stamp from each temple around the lake. Once completed, we would get... a groovy little magnet to go on the fridge with a picture of sun moon lake animals on.
We wasted no time at all. We walked down the high street in the direction of the nearest temple (I should point out that this is a big deal, as Taiwanese never go more than 20 meters down a road without their scooter). We were soon there.
I asked the TAs what people came to this temple for. They said it is where people seeking love pray. "You should try!" They insisted. There were a couple of wise men next to the statue of the god. They were there to translate. 5 girls left and went into the main temple and only 2 remained. I watched waiting to see what advise the wise man would share. However it was not these two that were looking for love. The other 5 returned with incense sticks and a wad of paper money to sacrifice. They were all looking for love! They placed the sticks in front of the god and prayed; then took the prayer beans and through them to the ground 3x one up and down means that god has granted their wish. All but one managed this. So they took a fortune message from the box and handed it to the wise man. Everyone looked on intently.
It was in Chinese, obviously, but Angel told me that he had told her that she would get a boyfriend very soon. It was all fascinating.
After this temple we headed back to the visitor centre to get a day ticket for the bus going round the lake. We found out that we didn't need a ticket, it was free.
We boarded one before long and were on our way to my favourite of Taiwan's temples. The gate alone is mind blowing. Here we could get two stamps from the two gods of study. Half way there on the stamp trail. It was a big old temple and there were photos inside of the damage to it back in 2000 from an earthquake... people had donated enough money to have everything fixed.
There was a shop inside selling traditional Taiwanese Outfits. I've left mine in England.

The girls were getting a bit peckish so we walked back to the road lined with food vendors selling every kind of snack including spicy sausage on a stick.


We waited for a bus to carry us on round the lake but nothing came. After half an hour it was getting dark so we decided to call off the temple quest and head back to the main village to grab some dinner. The whole area was pretty crowded with it being a holiday and a festival. After a little wait we managed to get a seat in a nice restaurant: proper traditional food. $300NT but a lot of food. We couldn't fit the plate on the table. Stewed wild chicken with peas and chili. Rice, cabbage, soup with a chunk of pork at the bottom, ginger and bamboo, shrimps with beansprouts and chili, and mushrooms. After dinner we had a wonder down past the shops. Angel bought a make it yourself dragon. I bought an imitation ice cream. We walked round to the lakeside and there was an orchestra playing Somewhere over the rainbow. Quite a big crowd down there. Then they played a well known Korean song and everyone cheered and started singing along... Why haven't I heard this song? Then some local celebrity took the microphone and started counting down to the fireworks. They were amazing. only like new year 2007; they didn't last that long.
As soon as they stopped, everyone behind us started running towards the bus ques, eager not to get stuck here the night.
We were OK for a few minutes.
Whilst waiting for the bus, we did what any sane Taiwanese person would do: took loads of pictures of each other in different places.
The bus came on time. We boarded and had a comfortable ride back to the station. As we entered the station we could hear an announcement for the Yuanlin train. I've never seen Taiwanese girls run before, they were making a variety of progress. It was a long was down to the platform.
But the guard heard the screams coming down the stairs and waited. Very amusing.
Before we knew it, we were in Yuanlin again. Scooter bound home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home